Wednesday, August 28, 2013

TOMS Wrap Boots


I seem to have a thing for red boots, even my pair of real leather boots has a reddish tinge. I got these wrap boots last year and they're still going strong, in great condition. They do take a little while to get on and off but they are so comfortable and I have gotten many compliments on them and their unique-ness (some have said they are like ninja shoes!). I'm glad I got them before they were discontinued, but I'm really liking the design of the other boots and shoes TOMS is coming out with, and of course their simple, original design. (Not that I'm planning on buying any more shoes, still on my quest for wardrobe minimalism). These boots can be wrapped high or low to make calf-length or ankle boots. The promotional video can be found on Youtube so you can see what I mean properly if you're interested. These were apparently inspired from leg wraps used on racing horses.


Lately I've been reading about how TOMS doesn't actually help people as much as we consumers are led to believe by their marketing. Kelsey Timmerman writes here about how the "One for One" policy TOMS has of donating a pair of shoes to countries in need for every pair bought is ineffective. (And also points out that TOMS shoes are still made in China, NOT the US!) It's the give a man a fish vs. teaching him to fish scenario, where you either have a very temporary solution or a lifetime one. The other thing is that most people in third-world countries do have access to shoes, but may not have the means to buy them. So simply giving them a pair of shoes doesn't solve the real problem.

However if nothing else, TOMS as a brand does spread some awareness about the poverty and difficulties some people face every day. Their advertising spreads a message to a wide audience of people, even if the truth of their results is less beneficial than it's made out to be. They also have "One Day Without Shoes" campaigns to raise awareness, with the idea that people experience what it's like to go barefoot, because some people don't have a choice. Although I can't understand how it's such a big deal going barefoot in first-world countries, on smooth pavement and indoors, and I myself often choose to go barefoot, actually. (Firstly it's more common in NZ, and secondly, I'm also into barefoot running.)

But anyway they definitely make helping people in need a feature of their marketing and I'm sure they intend for customers to buy their shoes because they can feel good about helping someone.

If you buy TOMS shoes, do so because you actually like their designs as a part of your personal style, rather than doing it to make a lasting change in someone's life - because chances are, you aren't going to do that by buying a pair of shoes.


No comments:

Post a Comment