Thursday, August 29, 2013

Chocolate Chip Cookies!



Today was a day of cold, awful weather and piano teaching. (Somehow, the two always seem to go together.) When I got home in the early afternoon, it was time for some lunch. So, I made cookies!

I did have actual lunch too, in the form of a protein-shake, which is something that I've recently decided to try. I shook up some protein powder (chocolate flavored) and half a can of coconut milk in my chilled shaker - I think I'll add some honey next time, and MCT oil too (which I've already mentioned here), even though this was pretty tasty and filling by itself.
One of my goals during this two-week period of holidays from university is to clean and de-clutter my space, and I have a few things in the pantry to use up. Some of these things (brown sugar, flour) just happen to be cookie ingredients, and the fact that chocolate chip cookies are my favorite dessert ever meant that these just had to happen. I might have to make a cake next week as well to use up the rest of my ingredients too...


To make these, I used my favorite recipe ever, from David Lebovitz's Great Book of Chocolate, which was given to me from my friend from Vermont in a package from America. I've loved every recipe in the book that I've tried! The recipe for these cookies can be found online here at the Smitten Kitchen, which is incidentally one of my favorite food blogs ever. I had to modify the recipe a bit because I didn't have any white sugar and wasn't going to buy any (since the aim was to use up ingredients!) and also I omitted the nuts. So consequently, the texture was a little bit different, but of course that was expected because the type of sugar you use does influence the final texture of your cookies. And they were still delicious - can't go too wrong with classic chocolate chip cookies.

A few pictures of the process (and results!):

Mixing dough - made the typical mistake of starting off with a too-small bowl (pictured above) and having to transfer to a larger one after making a mess!

Formed and ready for baking

Spreading out in the oven!


Delicious final product

Lunch is served....

Golden, crisp, chewy and chocolatey!
Do you have a favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe, or baking/cooking blog that you like to read?


No comments:

Post a Comment