Sunday, August 4, 2013

Instructions for Life: Go to Events!

A lot of my latest posts have been about events I've recently been to, like Stomp, Prince Avalanche, and Red. And I've got to say, I've never yet regretted paying a high ticket price to go to to an event. I have in the past regretted spending money on material possessions. This is why I advocate investing more into going to events, on trips, and trying new activities or restaurants than you invest in objects, or at least balancing what you spend your money on so that you get some of both - you don't want to end up with a house full of stuff less overall excitement and stimulation in your life.

Go to all kinds - events that are in and out of your field and comfort zone, and see and try some new things! You might find out something new and exciting about yourself or the people you're with.

As a musician, I do tend to go to a lot of concerts, and there are definitely some stand-out ensembles that I have seen, like the Tokyo String Quartet, the very innovative Kronos Quartet, the St. Lawrence String Quartet, and the Italian chamber group, I Musici with Ilya Kahler. I have also seen some terrific performances by the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra, most notably their performance of Shostakovich's Symphony No. 7, "Leningrad", under the baton of a guest conductor, Vasiliy Petrenko.

I have also gone to other musical events such as Madame Butterfly, put on by the New Zealand Opera company - it's the only opera I've actually gotten to watch rather than play in, so that was great. Also last year I saw Mnozil Brass, an Austrian group of seven brass musicians playing outstanding ensemble music while performing comedy acts - another group that you need to go see if you have the chance!

Finally, I've been to other events totally unrelated to music, like a Chocolate Festival, Agatha Christie's play The Mousetrap (a favorite author of mine), the comedian Alan Davies, and I've got tickets to go see an Andy Warhol exhibition next week. I've even been to a baseball game in St. Louis, Missouri, and a casual wine tasting at a local supermarket. Restaurants can count as an "event" too if you're trying something new and out-there, like Ethiopian food or other exotic cuisine, or if you're trying new places known for their particular atmosphere.

Other opportunities can be had from work, or even volunteering, so make sure to look for opportunities everywhere! I've gotten to see a World Vision photo exhibit through volunteering, and an Impressionist art exhibition, a couple of other plays (John Gabriel Borkman and A Midsummer Night's Dream) and an author's reading through doing musical gigs. Music has also taken me to nice hotels in Napier and Auckland in NZ, playing with the pianist Richard Clayderman. Occasionally I play with the Hawke's Bay Orchestra, and sometimes I go back to Nelson (where my family first lived in NZ) for the Nelson Symphony. On some of these trips, I've visited nice parks, played mini golf and in Palmerston North, I tried ice skating. I've recently also applied for an audition that will take place in Dunedin, so if my application is successful I'll get to have another little excursion to the south of NZ, and hope to see the Cadbury chocolate factory down there too.

Finally, don't get into the bad habit of associating going to events or activities with buying stuff (like new dresses/suits for parties, or souvenirs from travel). It's much more effective to remember life and travels through the events you do, rather than the stuff you buy. Stuff wears out, or gets lost or thrown away, and most of it becomes waste. Memories don't. I had a family reunion in Hawaii when I was in middle school, and the things I remember most are taking hikes in the outdoors with my family, and going parasailing on a boat with my cousins. That was an unforgettable experience, flying above the ocean. I don't remember anything that we bought, though I know we bought lots of souvenirs...come to think of it I do have a nail clipper that I still use, but it doesn't have any memories of the place for me, it's just a tool I use that says "Hawaii" on it. And there's a very battered keyring of a surfboard on one of the zippers on my violin case. But I don't even think about my trip when I see those things, it's just the memories of the experiences that have stuck. It's ultimately unsatisfying to form sentimental attachments to too many objects and accumulate a house full of stuff, and it makes it harder to let go of things. Invest in unique experiences and you will have nothing to let go of, you can keep all your strong memories and live a much more fulfilling life. 


As they say in Hawaii, "Hang Loose!"


No comments:

Post a Comment