Saturday, August 3, 2013

Pictures of Hypocrisy

I've just done a post on shopping, and how to avoid shopping compulsively and buying things you don't need. Now, I'm going to proceed to post about some things I've just bought, online and in store. (However I did get more than $10 savings from the stuff I got online, or it was unique and I couldn't buy it anywhere else!)



Here are some chocolates I got from a discount bin in a shop where I was buying a present for my grandmother's birthday - they were cheap and, even as dated stock, are much higher quality than chocolate from the grocery store.




My computer charger arrived! Just in time to Skype some friends in America this weekend. Very thankful for the prompt shipping of some online shopping outlets, and this was half the price of buying one in-store! Now I can proceed to follow my 2-hour daily technology limit.


This is my new wallet - fair trade and made from hand-tooled blue leather. I got this as a way to help achieve my new aim of using only cash for purchases, because my old "wallet" pictured to the right is basically a coin purse that is big enough to fit my debit card (and bus cards, ID, etc.) and bills have to be folded up to fit into it, which isn't very practical. 


This is my make-up bag. I really like the saying. I had a friend in New Zealand during my Year 12, who was from Vermont, USA, and we would say this to each other all the time while we were having our fun adventures traveling to take the SAT test, trying crafty activities (like tie-dye!), walking around, cooking new recipes, playing tennis, and eating gelato. The saying will always have fond memories for me, and also is just a good sentiment. Looking at it every morning helps me start the day with positive energy and a good outlook on life!

And here, is most of what's in that makeup bag. I did get all of this online, and at a huge discount to in store prices. I got some BB cream, bronzer, mascara, some lipsticks, a lip "stain", and lip liners, two nail polishes, green and purple eyeliners, a Maybelline "Color Tattoo" eyeshadow, and perhaps most importantly, a set of makeup brushes from Real Techniques (plus two extra brushes, one for eyeshadow and one for finishing touches). I've tried the Loreal lipstick, mascara, eyeshadow and one of the eyeliners so far, and they are all outstanding quality, well worth buying if you're getting into makeup. I was doubtful of the Maybelline "Volume Express" mascara brush, which is not like the traditional mascara brushes, and instead made of some rubbery material, but it actually works well and does what it says, making sure lashes are separated and not clumpy. It doesn't apply as much product as quickly as other brushes, so if you want a really dramatic (less "natural") look you'll have to do a few coats.

And of course, the makeup brushes...if you wear makeup, and don't use brushes, get some now. It makes such a difference. I used to not bother with brushes (makeup gurus will be shuddering, I'm sure) but since I've made the change to using them I'll never go back - if something's worth doing, it's worth doing right. And if something's worth putting on, it's worth putting on so it'll show the best! 

This is the Loreal lipstick up close, it's a nice vibrant fuchsia color ("Fearless Fuchsia" from the "Infallible" range) and actually has the brand name stamped on it, which I think is amazing detail (can you tell I'm new to higher-quality makeup?). It goes on really smoothly, doesn't feel drying to the lips at all, and the color lasts amazingly well. 

And lastly, here's a dinner of good old New Zealand fish and chips...



                                                                        Followed by a custard square for dessert!


 P.S. One more fun fact about NZ - there are no snakes here, which is a definite bonus if you're afraid of things that slither!


P.P.S. Speaking of pictures in my posts, I've recently realized that I need to be making sure I'm not violating copyright when I put up pictures. So, I've updated a few photos in my old posts, and am taking more of my own pictures and/or drawing images from websites that come under the creative commons license, available for public use. It's a good tip for beginning bloggers to know, while they're still in the early stages and things are easier to fix!


1 comment:

  1. .. What happened to your original charger? And don't abuse makeup. Not only does it make you look... but it also can leave some serious wrinklage. You need to use some kinda under coating thing if you want to avoid wrinkles. And just because you can't find any decently priced stuff in shops doesn't mean it's not worth it (just look at 99% of the middle aged women in this country (who're nzers). And doesn't that look mighty greasy.
    Oh, and speaking of things that slither, I'm sure you knew all about that encounter with a baby rattler on Deerfield Rd? Or the bull snakes at the browns...

    ReplyDelete