Monday, August 12, 2013

More Musings on...Red


It's interesting that inanimate objects and ideas can come to have associations much broader than the object or idea themselves. For example, the color red has come to mean and signify a lot of things, and even many contrasting ideas. 

Red is known as a sign of life, love, fire, and passion. It can also be a sign of anger, revenge, war, and death. Many of our warning signs are red, to signify danger, and yet women wear red lipstick and clothing to make themselves more attractive and noticeable. What a paradoxical color red is! Maybe that's why it's my favorite. 

Some organizations that use the color red make use of that, like Project Red, who are an organization that raises funds for the treatment of AIDS in Africa. "Go Red for Women" or the "Red Dress Campaign" is about fighting heart disease. Also, the Red Cross. These "Red" organizations are involved in situations where lives are both saved and lost. I find that quite interesting. Red is also used in a lot of flags, sports team colors, and can be found a lot in nature too, in plants and animals.

I was prompted into thinking further about this color because I recently won a prize for my earlier post that included the color red. I wrote about my experience at the theatre watching the play called "Red". You can read about the play on that post if you're interested - but here's a picture of the prize I won:  




I'd already written my blog post when I was emailed about the contest, so I sent in the link thinking "why not?" And it's really satisfying to have already won something based on my writing!

Packaged in 650ml bottles, and with a 6.5% alcohol content, each of these contains more than three standard drinks. I'd tried some of this beer at the theatre before the show and really enjoyed it. Produced by Garage Project especially for this play, this beer is labeled as "A Limited Blend of Rothko and Rye." I'm no beer expert, but this blend feels like it has the same weight and depth as a dark beer, but with a different sort of flavor. And again I don't know a whole lot about the different qualities of flavor that beers have, but out of what I have had this has to be the most distinctive beer I've ever tried, with a taste that seems to develop as you drink it. First clear and crisp when it touches the tongue, and then deep and bitter a few moments later. It smells really fresh and even a bit fruity, really light and pleasant and almost contradictory to its taste.



This beer went fantastically with the strong flavors of an Indian curry takeout dinner we had as well. To the left is a picture of the color, and it does indeed have a bit of a reddish tinge to it. I'd definitely recommend trying this beer while it's still available. From the Garage Project website, it seems like they do a lot of these blends for special events, so I'll be looking out for those at future shows I go to. It'd be exciting to try more of their blends and see what other flavors they have to offer!



Delicious curries and garlic naan bread from Indus, one of the best Indian places I've been to in NZ, located in Thorndon, Wellington. The gulab jamun with ice cream they have on the dessert menu is good too!
This is an example of gulab jamun, (dumpling-like desserts in syrup) for those who have never tried it!


No comments:

Post a Comment