Sunday, July 14, 2013

Rain

Here is a website that claims that "Rain makes everything better," and provides Internet users with an instant source of the sounds of rain:

http://www.rainymood.com/


But does rain really make everything better? In reality, no, it does not. Definitely not. Sure, it can be good for crops and things, and I can appreciate that. But, it's been raining like crazy here in NZ, and consequently I have been inspired to list a few things that rain does not improve:


1. Wet Socks (and shoes, and clothes, and hair...and pets, if you have them!)
Yeah, that squelch that accompanies every step in wet shoes and socks, soaking wet jeans that take ages to dry later...hair plastered down your face, and potentially having makeup running everywhere too, not a good look. Doesn't usually make for happy people. Also, coming home to a nice wet dog that likes to shake water onto you must be fun too, though I don't have personal experience in this category.
I do sometimes find that there's only one thing to do in situations that awful - sometimes, you've just got to laugh. (Hopefully not maniacally).

2. Public Transport
Being forced to use public transport where you normally wouldn't is not good for fitness and exercise, costs money, and now your day has to be planned around the bus or train schedule and you've got to deal with everyone else who's taking it too. Fantastic.


3. Ruining of mail in your non-waterproof mailbox - or things generally leaking
Don't know if this happens to others, but this just happened to me today, with some important sheet music - thankful that the ink didn't run! Otherwise, any kind of leaking - into bags, houses, instrument cases, vehicles, expensive equipment, etc. - is a real pain.

4. Cancellation of parades, sports, picnics, or other outdoor events
This is just disappointing. And often these events can't be rescheduled...it's moments like these that make people wish they could change the weather.


That song that goes: "if you like pina coladas and getting caught in the rain" is obviously about people who haven't been caught on the way to an important event in a torrential downpour without a car, bus, or covered walkway and without a raincoat or umbrella. Not as romantic as the song makes out. (By the way, umbrellas are almost totally useless in the "windy city" of NZ anyway where these are popularly found broken and discarded in trash cans, I mean, "rubbish bins," around the city).

Now, if I could have a very strong pina colada every time I did get caught in the rain, things may be different.


(Typical surroundings at the moment)
However, my feelings towards rain during the past few days can be summarized by this poem of my own composition:



It irks me when it starts to rain,
I have to catch a bus or train.
My hair is plastered down my face,
I wish I were indoors someplace!
And once I'm home it'll stop, I bet...
but on the way, my feet get wet.

That all being said, I don't dislike rain entirely. It gives a new freshness to the air, and a brightness to the green. It can be romantic and spontaneous to go singing or dancing in the rain, as long as it's not freezing cold and you know a hot shower awaits your return. (Though movies definitely tend to over-romanticize this). Jumping in puddles can be fun, with a good pair of wellington boots. (Which I do not own). 

And I do like to listen to it and watch it seeping down the glass of the windowpanes when I'm warm and indoors, with a cup of steaming hot cocoa or "bulletproof coffee" (more on that later) and nowhere to go.







No comments:

Post a Comment